UNITE Organizer Job Posting
WHO WE ARE
We are organizers, labor leaders, elected officials, and everyday folk. We have worked together to win dramatic victories in recent years, for candidates running on bold and revolutionary platforms. Nine of us, the founding steering committee of UNITE, have come together to form this organization. The time has come to walk the path to power in Allegheny County!
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe every person should have meaningful work, adequate income, affordable and loving healthcare, clean air and water, and, with others, the power to make our communities reflect our priorities and values. We believe that racism and capitalism have created a deeply unequal and unjust country; that the only way to bring justice to our people is to fight for it. We believe that the political establishment of Pennsylvania governs to the benefit of a privileged few. We believe that every person, if given the chance, can become a powerful force for good.
We believe that we will win!
WHAT WE DO
We give people the knowledge and resources they need to organize for power in their neighborhoods, particularly through local elections. We provide direct support to candidates who share our values and our platform. We work to ensure that power built during political campaigns endures after the election is over. We support labor and community organizing - year in, and year out!
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE:
UNITE seeks an innovative, organized, and dynamic individual to serve as an Organizer. The Organizer is tasked with organizing, empowering and mobilizing UNITE members so we can elect more candidates, raise our political profile, and advocate more effectively for political change. UNITE is grassroots and volunteer-driven.
The Organizer will coordinate volunteer activities, track UNITE political activity, communicate success stories to internal and external audiences, fundraise, and help develop political strategy. This job will have an emphasis on campaign and strategy coordination, membership recruitment and retention, and developing communication and tracking systems to help build the UNITE’s effectiveness in political and electoral campaigns.
Travel is not required at this point in time but may be in the future. Hours are flexible but include evening and weekend work. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send resume, cover letter, and three references to [email protected]
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Devise and implement regular UNITE outreach and education programs with guidance from the board
- Identify, recruit, train, and support UNITE members to take responsibility for running the organization and supporting endorsed electoral campaigns
- Communicate with members about upcoming activities and maintain social media presence
- Facilitate board meetings and check-ins with board members to provide guidance/support
- Monitor progress of UNITE through metrics and goals approved by the board
- Work collaboratively with other organizations to enhance the mission of UNITE and expand membership
- Develop and maintain a fundraising plan to ensure long-term success of UNITE
- Some prior experience in organizing people toward political goals (staff or volunteer), with significant experience working directly with volunteers strongly preferred
- A history of working collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Some prior experience on political campaigns, as staff or high-level volunteer
- Knowledge of the opportunities and challenges of building and working in large, diverse coalitions.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Superb organization skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong task and time management skills.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain an exhaustive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may arise and will be clearly communicated before being assigned.